Dr Upeka Chandrawansa, Dentistry, Griffith University, QLD
- North Sydney Girls High School, Sydney, NSW
- Griffith University, Gold Coast, QLD
- Recipient of the Griffith Award for Academic Excellence 2011 (Awarded to the top 5% of students)
- Recipient of the Nair Prize for Oral Medicine 2011 (Awarded to the student with the highest mark for Oral Medicine)
How long have you been with the practice?
What do you love about your job?
I am an enthusiastic, highly committed dentist who is dedicated to providing comprehensive patient care. I have extensive experience in both the public and private sector in metropolitan and rural areas. In my job, what I enjoy the most is putting a smile back on a patient – whether it is helping restore a missing tooth or relieving a patient out of pain from a toothache. It gives me an opportunity to help the community to enhance the oral health of people and transform the lives of my patients. It’s one of the most satisfying feelings when my patients make a change in their oral health habits, like introducing flossing and seeing the positive effects as they routinely come for their six-month check-ups. I also get to work in a multidisciplinary team which includes my passionate and friendly staff members to make our patients feel at ease.
I strive to keep up high standards in my dental work by going to multiple continuing professional development courses. Currently, I am enrolled in postgraduate studies in orthodontics a
comprehensive two-year course that will allow me to utilise orthodontics to help straighten teeth with Clear Aligners such as Invisalign and Braces. I hold an ongoing membership with Dental Protection Limited and the Pennant Hills Dental Study Club.
I enjoy meeting new patients, especially seeing families and children who are our future generation. I love working together with my patients to cater to their individual needs and circumstances.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
I try and stay fit by competing in multiple sporting activities such as being a part of an Oztag and Netball team. I also enjoy running, and I have participated in multiple Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathons and City2Surf.
- I am always excited to watch the latest musicals and hike the great outdoors with friends.
- I am also up to date with multiple Netflix TV shows and movies.
- I love travelling and exploring both Australia and the rest of the world.
- I have participated in multiple Dental Volunteering programs in Cherbourg (QLD), and recently in 2019, I went to Cambodia to help children who have limited access to dental facilities.