For more information about PROTECTING TINY TEETH visit:

Frequently Asked Questions on Childrens Dental Health

Q: When should you take your child to a dentist?
A: Ideally, children should be seen within 6 months after eruption of their first teeth. We can provide advice on care and diet. If not, then definitely when all their primary teeth have erupted at around the age of 2-3 years. At their first visit, we will familiarize them with our office environment, show them all our "cool toys? so they get to see what mum and dad goes through when they visit the dentist, so it becomes habit forming.

Q: How does your own dental health affect your child?
A: There are evidences to support that the primary care giver can transfer their own bacteria causing decay to their infants. So it is really important for you to have excellent oral hygiene during pregnancy and infancy.

Q: Are primary (baby) teeth important?
A: Baby teeth are important for function, esthetic, speech and development of jaw growth and adult dentition.

Q: Should I use toothpaste on my child?
A: Your child can use a child?s strength toothpaste from one year of age. Just use a smear as they will swallow most of it and this has an effect on their adult teeth.

Q: Can pacifiers (dummies) ruin my baby?s teeth?
A: frequent and long term sucking can cause top front teeth to slant out, bottom front teeth to tilt in, the upper and lower jaws to be misaligned and the roof of the mouth to be narrower.

Q: Can baby bottles ruin my babys teeth?
A: Many children satisfy their desire to suck by using a bottle as a pacifier. Frequent sucking and sipping anything other than plain water from a bottle may increase a child?s risk of developing early and extensive tooth decay. The problem arises when a sweet drink (cordial), juice or even milk is given to the child when they go to sleep at night, and so their teeth are continuously bathed in acid which causes tooth decay as a result.

Q: My child grinds heavily at night, is this a problem?
A: The reason why children grind is still unclear. It is considered to be within normal range of normal behavior and most children grow out of this. Nothing needs to be done as long as it?s not causing any major damage.

Q: My child falls and injured his / her teeth?
A: Call us for an assessment. In most instances, nothing needs to be done. It all depends on whether the injury has an effect on the underlying permanent tooth.

Q: My child does not like drinking water - what should I do?
A: Encourage drinking water from the very beginning and avoid sugary carbonated drinks or fruit juices and flavoured drinks like Ribena. Once a child develops a liking for these drinks, it is very difficult to stop.

site managed by freesites